I am an average wife.
I cook. I clean. I sleep. I eat. I cry. I laugh. I read. I write.
You get the idea.
I am not the wife who runs a successful ministry.
I am not the wife who earns six figures working in a fifteen-story building.
I am not the wife competing in weekend triathlons.
I am not the wife bouncing six babies on my hips while making a three-course meal with a smile on my face…I don’t even have kids yet!
I am just me.
I used to think that was a bad thing – don’t we all? I wanted to do it all, be it all, have it all.
But God grabbed this heart of mine and taught me a lesson – gently, of course. And it is an important one.
Just you is just who you need to be.Just you is just who you need to be. #averagewife #averagelife Click To Tweet
I am called to be an average wife in this mundane life. I am also called to embrace life as an average wife.
And if this is a calling – and maybe it is for you, too – then how do we do it well? I think there are three things we should stop doing and three things we should start doing.
We should STOP…
- Comparison is a joy killer. It hurts relationships, it hinders callings, and it gets in the way of authentic, intentional life. When we compare to the missionary wife or the bread-winner wife, we are squeezing the joy out of our calling to be a mundane wife. Which leads me to…
- Wives, we’ve got to stop complaining. Life as wife might seem pretty boring – I mean cooking and cleaning? But when we complain about this calling to be a wife, we lose out on the joy of intentional marriage. The joy of embracing our God-given gifts. Embrace it!
- Oh goodness, I am queen here. There’s outward criticism, but I’m talking about the inward criticism that likes to eat away at our worthiness. Criticizing our progress, our method, our habits. “I should have done this.” “Why did I do that?” To be an intentional wife, you’ve got to first realize you are worthy.
And we should START…
- This life. This husband. This calling. This place. Embrace everything as a gift from God.
- Live your mundane life to the fullest. Show other people crazy love. Be vulnerably real with a trustworthy mentor. Let others know you. Embark on the journey where God has placed YOU.
- It means to “wrap completely.” Wrap your husband completely in the joy of being an average wife. Encourage his heart with your peace, your happiness, your comfortableness being his.
Average is never a bad thing. The cooking & cleaning may feel repetitive. The constant service to those you love may come out as bitterness somedays. And, wife, there may be some days when you don’t want to be average.
Can I encourage you to embrace, embark, and envelope anyway?
It’s in the average acts of being a wife that real love is shared, poured, and grown!
P.S. I’d love for you to join the community here! It’s a place of encouragement to grow in your faith & live boldly for Jesus! For signing up below, you’ll receive access to a library of freebies. Hope to see you in your inbox!
Join a growing community of thousands!
Included in the library:
- 10 Prayers for Fear & Anxiety
- The 7-Day Identity Project
- The Week Long Grace Challenge
- A Wife's Scripture Prayer Pack
- A Guide to Praying with Boldness
- 2 Beautiful Psalm 23 Prints
- Bible Study Note-Taking Sheets
- ...and more!