Burdened. I was just plain burdened.
Burdened by the things of life that cause me anxiety. Perfection. People-pleasing. Money. Irrational fears. Expectations.
And all of this burden was robbing me of my joy.
Rather than waking up to the fullness of life & the beauty of God’s goodness, I was waking up uncomfortable, irritable, sad, and overwhelmed.
Let me tell you, friends, that is no way to start the day.
Maybe you’re feeling burdened by anxiety as well? And maybe you haven’t figured out how to gain back that true joy?
John 16:33 says, “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
For some of us, I believe that tribulation – at least a portion of it – is anxiety. It eats away at our confidence, our trust, our energy, and our joy.
And we’ve got to steal it back!
I think John 16 gives us a hint into how we should fight for joy. It reminds us that Jesus has overcome the world! And what a truth that is.
It gives us hope. It gives us purpose. It gives us confidence. It gives us, well, joy.
When you are tempted to let anxiety weigh down your heart, repeat the words, “Christ has overcome the world.”
- Burdened by doubt of God’s provision? Repeat “Christ has overcome the world. He has provided for my future. He will provide for me now.”
- Burdened by fear of the future? Repeat “Christ has overcome the world. My future is secure because of God’s gift given through Christ.”
- Burdened by people-pleasing? Repeat “Christ has overcome the world. He holds my relationships in His hands. What can man do to me if Christ is my foundation?”
- Burdened by an overwhelming to-do list? Repeat “Christ has overcome the world. I have confidence that what I do matters, because he has secured my purpose with His resurrection.”
- Burdened by perfectionism? Repeat “Christ has overcome the world. Grace covers my imperfections because of His death on the cross.”
- Burdened by family troubles? Repeat “Christ has overcome the world. I can trust Him to hold my family in His hands.”
- Burdened by the unknown? Repeat “Christ has overcome the world. I have a purpose, and I can trust that God’s plan will prevail.”
- Burdened by sickness? Repeat “Christ has overcome the world. The blood of Christ overshadows death, disease, sickness and sadness. There will be a day with no more pain.”
If you are an anxious person, I strongly encourage you to claim this truth. Post it on your computer screen. Set it as your phone background. Pin it to the fridge. Write it on your mirror.
Because this truth – the truth that Christ has overcome the world – brings fullness of joy.
On the days when you wake up burdened, overwhelmed, anxious, and unsettled, let this ground you.
We have a hope, a future, a confidence, and a purpose so much greater than ourselves.
We have future glory awaiting us!
Christ has overcome the world.
Do you find yourself anxious throughout the day? If so, I’d love for you to download my A-Z list of verses for dealing with anxiety. It’s part of a whole host of freebies you get when you sign up for access to the freebies library. That’s what you do when you enter your email address below. Do it, friend. Conquer that anxiety – and find cute printables. 😉
Join a growing community of thousands!
Included in the library:
- 10 Prayers for Fear & Anxiety
- The 7-Day Identity Project
- The Week Long Grace Challenge
- A Wife's Scripture Prayer Pack
- A Guide to Praying with Boldness
- 2 Beautiful Psalm 23 Prints
- Bible Study Note-Taking Sheets
- ...and more!